Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thoughts for Chapters 1 and 2

"The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple." - quote by S. Gudder

According to NCTM, "Learning mathematics is maximized when teachers focus on mathematical thinking and reasoning". The two quotations illustrate the important role that a teacher plays in scaffolding children learning of mathematics contents. It may sounds easy; but difficult to attain.

The six principles and five content standards for school Mathematics are important guides for teachers teaching mathematical contents to children. I am especially lured by the LEARNING principle; which states that "students must learn mathematics with understanding, actively building new knowledge from experience and prior knowledge." (NCTM, 2000, p.20)

Mathematics was one of my favourite subjects during my schooling days; it was easy to score good grades as long as the methods and correct answers were presented and all I have to do was to practise, practise and lots of practise! And yes, I did very well for my Additional Mathematics in 'O' levels and Maths C in 'A' levels. Sadly, I did not understand the purpose of learning Mathematics, other than using the four operations in daily life, what is the purpose of learning algebra and geometry?

Changes have taken place over the last decade and I am glad that education is not an end to itself. The rationale behind learning Mathematics in Singapore syllables gives me insightful understanding that Mathematics is the vehicle for developing a person's intellectual competence, for application in everyday living and to develop competitive workforce to meet future challenges. More importantly, Mathematics is a subject for enjoyment and excitement, which I fully agree, as I had great fun solving those sums during my schooling days.

The benefits of relational understanding in Chapter 2 enable me to understand the importance of building children's knowledge based on their existing experiences. When multiple tasks are selected to help children connect their learning; it improves children understanding and retention and that reminds me of Jerome Bruner's concrete-pictorial-abstract (CPA) approach to use appropriate materials to facilitate children's learning.

Now, my task as a teacher is to get the children to understand the rationale behind Mathematical concepts, not forgetting to instill fun in the learning process. I agree with the author that we have to "make time to be self-conscious and reflective". There are many approaches and strategies to teach Mathematical concepts and skills, and we can create the sparks in children's lives, if we choose to.

No comments:

Post a Comment